Asparagus and Cauliflower Cheese
Proper, flavoursome Spanish cheeses make this a fantastic, gutsy, grown up supper dish. The fresh Spring asparagus and cauliflower go so well together and a full bodied Torres wine really compliments the flavours.
You will need:
1 medium cauliflower, cleaned and broken into florets
1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed of all the tough ends
50g plain flour
½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
50g Spanish semicurado cheese
30g Flor d’Esgueva Manchego Cheese
Salt to season
- Cook the asparagus and the cauliflower in fast boiling salted water for around 6-8 minutes until just tender, drain and set aside.
- Next m ake the cheese sauce by placing the milk, flour, butter, salt and pepper into a large saucepan over a gentle heat and whisk continuously until the sauce is thick, smooth and glossy.
- Add the grated cheeses and the mustard and simmer gently for around 5 minutes.
- Combine the sauce with the vegetables and place in a cazuela.
- Top with a little more grated cheese and a pinch of smoked paprika if you wish.
- Place under the grill for 10 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.