Pollo al Chilindron is a classic Spanish chicken stew with a big flavour. You can use chicken breasts for this recipe but thighs and drumsticks tend to work better. Sweet smoked paprika is used to create those earthy hints and combined with tomatoes, red pepper and garlic this recipe is a true flavour of the Mediterranean.
You will need:
4 Large chicken legs, separated
100g Serrano ham, diced
1 Large onion, chopped
1 Red bell pepper, diced
400g Tin chopped plum tomatoes
2 Bay leaves
6 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 Teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
Flat leaf parsley
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Fry onions and peppers in the olive oil until the onions turn translucent.
- Add garlic and fry for a further 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the chicken) mix well then leave to one side.
- Brown the chicken all sides in a terracotta cazuela or casserole dish, pour the sauce over the top, season, then cover with kitchen foil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, remove foil and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve piping hot and garnish with parsley. (Also delicious cold with salad and gazpacho)