Cod and Chorizo Soup
This is a warming, filling soup yet perfect for the summer as a lunchtime starter or supper dish. The sweetness of fresh ripe tomatoes, combined with meaty, succulent cod is a real treat. This is a real feel good soup.
You will need:
500g fresh cod
500ml fish stock
2 onions, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
350g spicy chorizo
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the tomato sauce:
1 kilo fresh, ripe tomatoes, chopped (or use 2 tins good quality chopped tomatoes)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
Pinch of sugar
- Begin by making the tomato sauce which will be the base for this soup. Heat the oil in a heavy based large saucepan, add the garlic and sweat gently for a few minutes.
- Add your tomatoes, a pinch of sugar and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on a low heat for about an hour breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon as they cook until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, wash the cod and remove the flesh from the skin along with any bones you find. Cut the cod into nice large chunks and set aside. You can put the skin in with your fish stock which should be warming gently now.
- Heat a little more olive oil in a frying pan, add the chorizo and cook for a few minutes.
- Then add the sliced garlic and onions and gently cook for about 10 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Transfer the chorizo, garlic and onions to the tomato sauce pan and add the fish stock. Cook for about 15 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the cod to the tomato soup and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until the fish is cooked through, check the seasoning and serve with fresh bread.