Serrano Ham Stuffed Tomatoes
Serrano ham tapas, these serrano ham stuffed tomatoes with manchego cheese and herbs are a great oven baked and served as either tapas on their own or as a starter. The classic combination of ham, cheese and tomato complimented by a little thyme works exceptionally well and will add some Andalucian colour to your Spanish table.
You will need:
8 Large vine tomatoes
100g Manchego cheese
2 Large slices serrano ham (hand sliced)
Cracked black pepper
- Slice the top of each tomato and remove the seeds, retain the tomato cap.
- Cut each slice of serrano ham into half inch wide strips about 3 inches long and place into the tomato letting the ham drop over the outside.
- Dice the onion and stuff the tomato.
- Grate manchego cheese over the top.
- Season with pepper and a sprinkle of dried thyme.
- Replace the cap on the tomato, arrange on a baking tray and oven bake on 180°C for 15 minutes.
Makes 8 tapas