Shredded Chicken and Serrano Ham Salad
This recipe for chicken salad uses leftover chicken paired with thinly sliced Serrano ham. The ingredients are then tossed with cherry tomatoes, cucumber and pequillo peppers. A light dish ideal for a summer lunch which goes well with Spanish gazpacho or as a side dish to accompany barbecued meats. For this recipe we simply used sliced Serrano ham although for the classic chicken and bacon combination the ham could be fried or substituted for pancetta.
You will need:
300g Leftover roast chicken, shredded
150g Serrano ham, thinly sliced
12 Cherry tomatoes
1 Jar of whole pequillo peppers
Mixed salad leaves
- Arrange the mixed salad leaves in a cazuela or bowl.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and cut half a dozen slices of cucumber.
- Drain the jar of peppers and chop each pequillo pepper in half.
- Cut 10 – 12 slices of Serrano ham (or tear in half if using pre packed ham)
- Roughly shred/tear up the chicken and add all the ingredients to the mixed salad leaves.
- Toss the salad mixing the ingredients well.
- Serve either in the cazuela or transfer to a large plate, drizzle generously with good extra virgin olive oil.